Did you know there is a “you pick” flower field in Sevierville? As a self-proclaimed anthophile (flower lover) I’ve spent my fair share of sunny days surrounded by delicate petals and buzzing bees. As a Sevierville naitive I couldn’t wait to tell you all about this small business with deep roots.
Rivers & Roots is owned and operated by Sydney Duncan who also hails from Dolly’s hometown. I’m certain the Patron Saint of the Smokies would approve of the amount of butterflies floating around the property.
I was able to snap this photo of a butterfly as it paused to take a drink.
When I looked up I noticed another of my favorite creatures had joined me in the garden.
My nephew, Arlow, prefers to be outside whenever possible so I couldn’t wait to see his reaction to such beautiful surroundings. He may have overheated at some point but it’s safe to say he enjoyed himself. As soon as he was done with the humidity he was whisked away like a posh celebrity to an air conditioned car seat and handed a fresh bottle.
Those chubby fingers around the tiny stem of the flower absolutely melt my heart.
What better place for a little one to tiptoe than on a soft bed of grass? Arlow is going to be unstoppable once he gets the hang of walking. The refrigerator magnets will forever be on the floor. The Christmas tree will look dramatically different from last year. Joe dog will have to find a new place to hide. But goodness it’s magnificent to watch this boy grow.
Alright, I think that’s enough gushing for now.
So how does a “you pick” flower farm work? I’m so glad you asked because I’ve broken it down into 6 easy steps.
- Choose a small or large bucket depending on how much you want to spend. Prices may vary based on the season or type of flower in bloom.
- Grab a pair of shears and go searching for the best of the bunch.
- Cut the stem about the length from your wrist to your elbow.
- Remove the extra leaves on the stem so they don’t muddle the water.
- Arrange them in the bucket until it is full without overcrowding.
- Bring them to Sydney to be wrapped up and checked out! She takes cash and cards.
Here’s a closeup of our collective efforts at a bouquet. The end result was simply stunning.
I’m thrilled for Sydney’s success and hope that you will make time to visit Rivers & Roots in Sevierville soon. For hours, pricing, and other services offered check out the Facebook page here.